10/31/10 – Towson, MD – Calvert Hall’s Class of 1958 hosted a Mass at the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary at 10:45am on Sunday, October 31, 2010. Mass was celebrated by the Most Rev. Edwin F. O’Brien, Archbishop of Baltimore, and co-celebrated by the Most Rev. William C. Newman, D.D., V.G., Titular Bishop of Numluli (Retired), a 1946 graduate of Calvert Hall.
Following the Mass, Bishop Newman presided over the blessing and dedication of a commemorative plaque at the site of the “Old Hall” at the corners of Cathedral and Mulberry Streets, now the home of the Catholic Center. Alumni, family and friends of Calvert Hall attended this special event.
The commemorative plaque reads:
CALVERT HALL COLLEGE
In 1845, the De La Salle Christian Brothers established their first permanent foundation in the United States in Baltimore, at a school that became Calvert Hall College. The school occupied a building on this site from 1891 to 1960, when it moved to its current location in Towson, Maryland.
Donated by the Class of 1958
Leave A Comment