December 17, 2012
It is with great sadness that the Office of Lasallian Education expresses condolences and prays for the victims and families of the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, Friday, December 14.
Two of the young victims have Lasallian connections. Josephine Grace Gay, 7, is the daughter of Robert and Michele Gay; Bob is a 1978 graduate of Calvert Hall College High School in Baltimore, MD. Bob and Michele released this statement about their daughter. Jessica Rekos, 6, is the daughter of Rich and Krista Rekos; Rich is a 1999 graduate of La Salle University in Philadelphia, PA. Rich and Krista sat down with ABC News to share the story of their daughter. Please keep the Gay and Rekos families and all of those impacted in your prayers.
As students return to their classrooms this week, they may have fears or questions. The Office of Lasallian Education would like to pass on the following resources to help your students cope with this tragedy if needed:
- National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry (see right side bar of home page)
- National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry, Nonviolence
- St. Mary’s Press, A Listening Session for Teens
- St. Mary’s Press, Prayer for Victims of Violence
- St. Mary’s Press, When Tragedy Challenges Faith
- National Association of School Psychologists, Tips for Talking to Children About Violence
- National Education Association, School Crisis Resources
Please email any resources you would like added to this list to email@example.com.