St. Vincent’s Male Orphan Asylum
aka La Salle School, Albany, N.Y.
December 1937—The Bulletin of the St. La Salle Auxiliary (Barrytown, NY)
In the early years, many of the boys had fathers who were killed or wounded in the Civil War. A colorful member of the faculty in the latter 1800s and early 1900s was Brother Amphian of Mary who labored there for over 30 years and frequently begged (door to door and office to office) for funds to enlarge the limited facilities.
In 1923, the “public” name was changed to La Salle School for Boys, but as of this 1937 article, the official title remained as St. Vincent’s Male Orphan Asylum.