On March 1, 1937, Brothers Cyril, Alexander, Damien, John, and Augustine attended the funeral of Brother S. Patrick at St. Mary’s Church in Toronto.
Annals of St. John’s Industrial School (Toronto), pp. 166-168.
Brother Dagobert Noah (Wurfel) celebrated his 50th Anniversary in the Institute on March 19, 1937. He was a member of the Community of West Philadelphia Catholic High School for Boys, which consisted of 65 members, making it, at the time, the largest community of Brothers in the US and one of the largest in the world. Brother Noah was born in Germany in 1869. He was principal (1923-1926) of St. Peter’s School in Philadelphia, which was originally a Germanic parish; the church is where St. John Neumann is buried.
St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Ammendale), June 1937, pp. 53-54.
Geffrey Lewis (Lyons)
On May 13, 1937, Brother Geffrey Lewis (Lyons) passed away. Receiving the Robe in 1896, he taught in various schools throughout the Baltimore District. At his funeral, a delegation of students’ mothers whose boys were taught by Brother Geffrey at St. John’s College HS in Washington was present to pay tribute to his dedication.
St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Ammendale), June 1937, pp. 54-55.
A memorial service to salute the famous Brother Barnabas was held at Lincolndale on May 24, 1937 when a large oil painting of him was unveiled. Brother Barnabas was founder of the Lincoln Agricultural School, founder of St. Philip’s Home for Industrious Boys, and founder of the Knights of Columbus Boy Life Bureau. He organized courses at the University of Notre Dame in what he called “boyology” and pioneered the “cottage system” in working with at-risk young men.