Canisius College Honors Brothers
Canisius College, the Jesuit institution in Buffalo, honored the Brothers of the Christian Schools when it bestowed an honorary degree to Brother Eliphus Victor, the Provincial of the New York District (and future assistant Superior General).
St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Barrytown), September 1937, p. 4.
Brother Constantius Paul (Cester) passed away in June 1937. He taught in various schools, including St. Patrick’s parish school and La Salle Academy (both NYC), at Hillside School (Troy), St. Vincent’s Home (Utica), and the New York Catholic Protectory.
St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Barrytown), September 1937, p. 12.
U.S. Congressman William P. Connery of Massachusetts died in June. Educated at Christian Brothers’ HS in Lynn (MA), he was elected to Congress in 1922 and rose to be chair of the House Labor Committee. He was known as an exemplary Catholic, and advocated the cause of disabled war veterans from World War I. Connery’s funeral was “said to be the biggest ever witnessed in New England.”
The Little Messenger of the Divine Child (NYC), Fall 1937, pp. 11-12.
Brother Barnaby William (Humphreys), pro-director of the New York Catholic Protectory, died on July 2. Brother William entered the Brothers in 1879 and taught in various schools until a serious throat impairment limited him to infirmary work in the New York District’s childcare institutions. For a half-century he diligently supervised the medical department of the boys’ division of the New York Catholic Protectory.
St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Barrytown), September 1937, pp. 11-12.
Brother Glastian Philip (Eagen) died on July 23. Born in 1874, he was educated by the Brothers at St. Thomas College in Scranton and received the Robe at Ammendale in 1894. Large in stature, his nickname among the Brothers was “Big Phil.” He taught at several schools and then, in succession, became the director (and principal) of no fewer than seven schools: St. Michael’s, St. Vincent’s, St. Stephen’s Parish Schools (all Philadelphia); La Salle High School (Cumberland, MD); the Philadelphia Protectory for Boys (near Philadelphia); St. Thomas College; and was the founding director of Central Catholic HS (Pittsburgh). In time, an eighth and ninth directorship followed, because Brother Philip was requested to be the founding director of the Brothers’ Cathedral HS in Los Angeles, and, at the time of his death, he was directing the St. La Salle Auxiliary at Ammendale (MD).
ARCHIVIST’S NOTE: In the “old days,” for formal attire, Brothers were allowed to wear “skimmers” (flat-topped straw hats) during the hot days of summer, instead of the regular black fedoras and other top hats, which absorbed heat.
St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Ammendale), Winter 1938, pp. 9-10.
Brother Theobald of the Toronto District died on August 26.
Annals of St. John’s Industrial School, p. 170.
Dean of Westchester and President of Fordham Die
During the summer of 1937, two priests associated with the New York District passed away. The first was Monsignor Cornelius Crowley, dean of Westchester County, rector of Blessed Sacrament Church (New Rochelle), and president of the College of New Rochelle. He was taught by the Brothers at St. Patrick’s (old Cathedral Parochial School) on Mott Street, at De La Salle Institute (Second Street), and then at Manhattan College and at St. Joseph’s Seminary in Troy. Manhattan College gave him an honorary degree in 1936.
Less than two weeks later came the passing of Rev. Thomas McCluskey, S.J., who at one time was the president of Fordham University. The Brothers taught him at St. Brigid’s parish school, at De La Salle Institute, and then Manhattan College.
The St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Barrytown), September 1937, pp. 2-3.
of the New York District celebrated his 50th anniversary as a Brother. He received the robe on August 14, 1887 at Amawalk (NY). One of his early assignments was St. James HS (Brooklyn), where he eventually became the director. Brother Anselm subsequently held the same title at St. Stephen’s parish school (Buffalo), St. Joseph’s (Albany), St. Mary’s (Waltham, MA), St. Cecilia’s (Brooklyn), and La Salle School (Albany). He was chosen to open St. Raphael’s Academy (Pawtucket) and then La Salle Military Academy (Oakdale).
St. La Salle Auxiliary Bulletin (Barrytown), September 1937, p. 5.
Brother Declan Joseph (Hoffmann) went to his eternal reward on August 1. He received the robe in 1884 and served in numerous schools of the Baltimore District. Brother Joseph had a reputation for being exacting regarding his pupils, but as a religious, was far more exacting on his own self.