Calvert Hall to name basketball court for former head coach, Mark Amatucci ’70; create scholarship in his honor
Frank Bramble ’66, Chairman, Board of Trustees, is pleased to announce that Calvert Hall will name the basketball court in the Alumni Memorial Gymnasium in honor of former head coach and current guidance counselor, Mr. Mark Amatucci ’70 and will also establish the Mark Amatucci Scholarship for Tuition Assistance. The dedication of the court will take place at 2:30pm on Sunday, December 21st and will be followed by a Varsity Basketball game vs Loyola Blakefield at 3:30pm.
Amatucci has been developing basketball players and championship teams for over 30 years. His Calvert Hall teams earned three Baltimore Catholic League regular season titles, three BCL Tournament titles, two MIAA titles and one MIAA “A” Conference title. His 1981-82 team, which finished the season 34-0, was named National Champion by USA Today. From 1980-1982, his teams were 91-3. After graduating from Calvert Hall in 1970, Mark went on to earn a BA in Psychology from Juniata College in 1974. He joined the Calvert Hall faculty as a psychology instructor in the fall of 1975. From 1982-1989, he served as an administrator and Head Basketball Coach at Loyola College. He returned to Calvert Hall in 1993, serving as a member of the guidance department. His duties range from emphasizing the importance of developing strong time management skills with the underclassmen to focusing on college preparation with juniors and seniors.
“This is an unbelievable honor and is truly a tribute to the outstanding student athletes and coaches that have been part of the Calvert Hall basketball program. The Hall has a prestigious athletic tradition and to be part of that has been very, very special. I can’t thank Calvert Hall and all those who supported our teams enough,” Amatucci said.
His Basketball Coaching Resume includes:
- 389 Wins in 19 years as Head Coach (117 Wins from 1977-82; 272 Wins from 1993-2007)
- Won 74% of games over 19 years
- National Champions (34-0); ranked #1 in the country by several media outlets (1982)
- Coached 50 future college players and 4 players (Duane Ferrell ’84, Juan Dixon ’97, Gary Neal ’02 & Jack McClinton ’03) who were drafted by the NBA
- All-time Winningest Head Basketball Coach at Calvert Hall
- Baltimore Catholic League Defensive Player of the Year Award is named after Mark Amatucci
- Baltimore Catholic League Hall of Fame Inductee (2012)
For more information about the court dedication or the scholarship, please contact Joseph Baker ’76, Chief Administrative Officer/Director of Advancement at 410-825-4266 or email@example.com.