“Christmas time 1679”
De La Salle did not intentionally “found” a new Institute. More precisely, it developed and evolved one step at a time. At “Christmas time” of this year, “the five teachers move[d] into their new residence. Perhaps the Ruinart house (?) on rue de la Grue.” This house was rented for a year and a half; meals were brought in from the home of De La Salle. In 1680, there were seven teachers, including Adrien Nyel, who took care of three schools, with a total of 400 or 500 children.
Brother Jose Maria Valladolid, Lasallian Chronology: Documented Events in the Life of Saint John Baptist de La Salle (Rome: Brothers of the Christian Schools), p. 86. It is Number 31 of Lasalliana, Sept./Dec. 1994.