The government of King Louis XV granted letters-patent to the Institute, five years after De La Salle’s death. Thus the existence and functioning of the Motherhouse at St. Yon (near Paris) was approved, and the Institute had the right to teach and to possess property.

Precis of the History of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools (New York: La Salle Bureau, 1936), p. 81.