Location: Towson, MD
Students: 1,175 boys
Faculty: 106 Lasallian educators
Mascot: The Cardinals
In the early 1840s, Archbishop Samuel Eccleston sought to open a school for the boys of the Cathedral parish in Baltimore. Knowing the work of the Brothers of the Christian Schools in Canada, he requested the Brother Superior General send Brothers to conduct the school. In need of English speaking candidates, the archbishop recruited for the Brothers’ novitiate, and after completing their training in Montreal, they would return to staff the Cathedral school. On September 15, 1845, Brother Francis McMullen, FSC, the assigned Director, accompanied by Brother Edward Whitty, FSC and 100 students, opened Calvert Hall, the first permanent foundation of the De La Salle Christian Brothers in the United States.
The steady increase in enrollment, the continued growth in academic and extracurricular programs, and the increasing demand for Catholic, college preparatory education in the metropolitan area, necessitated Calvert Hall College High School to move twice. It moved first in 1891 from Saratoga Street to Cathedral and Mulberry Streets in Baltimore, and again in 1960 to its current location in Towson, Maryland. With a current enrollment of 1175 high school boys, the faculty of 106 dedicated and experienced Lasallian educators teach the diverse community of students who hail from over 100 different zip codes.
The breadth and strength of Calvert Hall’s scholastic and extracurricular programs are reflected in its having been twice cited as an “Exemplary School” by the U.S. Department of Education. Our mission calls us to have a strong college preparatory curriculum while meeting the needs of diverse learners. Our academic programs include the highly selective McMullen Scholars Program and Br. Tom Miller Honors Program, college prep classes, and flex classes. Additionally, the LaSalle Program assists students with diagnosed learning disabilities to achieve academic success. Our thirty-nine athletic teams, extensive arts program, and more than fifty clubs and activities create an environment where there is something for everyone.
St. John Baptist de La Salle envisioned the Christian school as a place where the spirit of faith and an awareness of the presence of God were at the core of the educational process. For the past one hundred seventy years, we have sought to make that vision a reality.
Leave A Comment