From the District Archives . . .


January 2019

Many of us have seen an image of—or have travelled to—the Generalate (world headquarters) of the Institute in Rome, with its grand façade of light-red brick and offwhite marble. One chilly day in February 1965, the greenery which graces the exterior staircase was magically transformed into something deserving a camera’s lens. This rare photograph is from the April 1965 edition of Bulletin des Freres des Ecoles Chretiennes, which has been an excellent source regarding the worldwide Lasallian mission since 1907, and an outstanding archival treasure.  At least one other issue of the Bulletin has shared photos of the snow-covered Generalate, notably in the mid-1950s, when Mother Nature surprised the citizenry of the Eternal City.

Loading...